Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Is It Necessary?

(MP3 file available at www.teacherbill.com )

Well, hello there. Here I am on Taiwan's High Speed Rail System--the "Bullet Train" as they might call it in Japan.
I don't know if Taiwan needs a High Speed Rail System--but I guess now it's a moot point. It is fast, it's very comfortable.
But, I've been here for five years in Taiwan, and the whole process made me think that this was just a big project for, uh, some government and elected officials and also people with connections to make a lot of money.
Because, there was a sufficient rail system in place, and there were also airlines in place, that make it--going back and forth between Taipei and Khaoshung and other cities very easy.
In fact, I flew down to Khaoshung this morning in forty minutes, forty-five maybe, and then, uh, I'm now riding the High Speed Rail back to Taipei this afternoon, because I have some time.
It's a nice ride, but, uh, like I said, I-don't know if it's really necessary--but, it's here. It's not going away, so, I would encourage you to give it a try if you have the opportunity, go for a ride on it. It is fun, um, it's kinda fun going 180 miles per hour.
So, um, I had the opportunity in Shanghai, I did ride the Maglev train there--this is similar to it. It's a little bit different, but it is kind of a fun thing to do. So, here's one more look inside the cabin, and around.
Okay--see you later!

Key Words

Moot point-n-a fact, or point of an argument that doesn't matter anymore, because something has already happened.

Connections-n-strong contacts and relationships that help people make money and exert influence.

Sufficient-adj-adequate, good enough, plenty.

Maglev train-n-a high speed train that levitates (sits or floats on) a magnetic field as it travels, instead of wheel to rail as most trains are.

2 comments:

LIBRA said...

Where are you, Teacher Bill? I didn't see you last Friday night. Do you go to Shanghai?

I haven't tried Taiwan's High Speed Rail yet. It is so expensive, but it is convenient. Compared to airplane, my brother would like to take Taiwan's High Speed Rail System. He thought it is safer.

Taiwan's High Speed Rail Station is not in the center of each city. You may need an extra ride to the destination. This is another point I don't like it.

The ticket reservation system is not computerized yet. The rail system is high-tech, however the related system is not planned very well. Why don't the government officer plan in advance instead of solving problems later? They should not make money only.

Teacher Bill said...

Hi libra!

I did go to Shanghai--and also Hanzhou. Very interesting. It was my fourth trip to China, but I always see something new.
Give the High Speed Rail a try sometime--at least once--it's an interesting experience. I know the stations are pretty far from the cities--maybe because the land was cheaper. The stations are very modern. And I know they've had some computer problems. For me, flying is very convenient since I can get to the airport very quickly. Take care, libra!

Bill