Thursday, November 22, 2007

Commentary on "Seoul Subway 'I-cell-ation' " (Isolation)

(The original short video from the subway is further down the page. MP3 file at www.teacherbill.com )

I took this short video while riding the subway in Seoul, back in September. It was amazing to me that everyone around me was either doing something with their cell phones. This is a common sight, not only in Seoul, but in many cities that I visit.
The word “I-cell-ation” is my creation, and it is a “play on words”; people isolate themselves in public, even in large crowds, by involving themselves endlessly with their cell phones.
Now, cell phones are useful for some purposes—they help us communicate with people at certain times. But the excessive use of cell phones is a little ridiculous. (This is also true of I-pods and other such devices.)
By immersing ourselves in activities involving our gadgets, a couple things happen;
1. We remain strangers to one another. Instead of saying hello to people, greeting them, acknowledging them, we remain strangers, and in some way, lessen our humanity.
2. We don’t develop necessary social skills. Looking at people, talking to them in person, learning new things, all get pushed aside.
3. We’re oblivious our surroundings. I love to notice things, see what is happening in the world, where am I, what’s new, what’s going on in the world.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. I carry a cell phone, and use it when necessary. But it has not become my “life-blood”. I also don’t have earphones plugged into my ears at all times—I like to see and hear what is going on around me. Get this—I actually like to just sit and think sometimes, without any distractions. It gives me a chance to formulate my thoughts.

Question: Do you automatically answer the cell phone every time it rings? Is that necessary? There are many times that I don’t answer my phone when it rings. Often, the situation determines whether I answer or not. So don’t be a slave to your cell phone (or I-pod)—it’s just a piece of technology designed to help you, not dominate you. Take care!

Key Words

Isolation-n-being apart from others, alone.
Amazing-adj-surprising, very interesting.
Play on words-idiom-using a word or phrase to have two meanings.
Excessive-adj-too much, more than needed.
Ridiculous-adj-silly, crazy.
Immerse-v-totally involved in an activity.
Acknowledge-v-to notice something or someone’s presence and greet them.
Humanity-n-our ability to treat people kindly.
Pushed aside-v.phrase-to make something not important, to not give it attention.
Oblivious-adj-not aware of something, to not see or hear something.
Get the point-idiom-to understand an important statement.
Life-blood-n-something that gives us life and meaning.
Distractions-n-things that take our attention away from what’s important.
Formulate-v-to put together thoughts, to figure out something.
Automatically-adv-to do without thinking.
Dominate-v-to totally control something or someone.

3 comments:

LIBRA said...

Teacher Bill,

I like the last sentence. Celler phone is a technology to help us, not dominate. Your video is very interesting. You throw away your celler phone.

Most people have a celler phone now. Parents can find their children when they need. Business men can communicate with their customers right away. It is very good.

But have you over use it? When we take the bus, we feel boring. Just push the phone number to my freind and chat with them. We may take a rest or fresh our mind instead of talking to people. When you receive the bill, you may find the phone fee is so high and regret that.

To have a good hobby is not easy, but to have a bad one is easy. Celler phone is a good technology, but don't rely on it. The electricity may hurt our body, too. Use it when you need it in the right time.

Teacher Bill said...

Thanks for your comment Libra! Cell phones are my number one pet-peeve right now. In some instances, the are helpful--but I think people spend too much time on the cell phone.
I'd like to see more interaction amongst people, instead of isolation. The more people use cell phones, the less we are a "community". Take care!

Bill

Anonymous said...

style curriculum bbusiness importantly commenters blogland encompassing payment bentyl precedes chaudharycs
lolikneri havaqatsu