Thursday, November 15, 2007

Can You Read My Mind? (Shanghai)

(Sorry that I'm invisible. It looked fine when I taped it, but when I put this video on the Internet, I disappeared. Just call me "Invisi-Bill". My face isn't important--you see enough of me.)

Okay, we’re here along the Bund in Shanghai, the beautiful Bund—very, very interesting to see all of this architecture. I love coming up here, it’s fascinating to see everything here in Shanghai.
Okay, now, I want to share something with everybody. Now, can you read my mind? Probably not—I can’t read your mind. But, we expect people to read our minds, don’t we?
We do this with family members and friends. We do this at work. We expect people to read our minds. And then, when they don’t read our minds, then we get upset with them, right? We need to communicate exactly what we want and what we need to people. If we can’t tell people what we want and what we need, there’s no way we can expect them to give, then, what we need.
So don’t get upset with people when they don’t do what you hope they would do. You need to be very clear in communicating “what do I need”, “what do I want”.
Now, that doesn’t mean they’re going to give you exactly what you asked for, but you need to communicate with them. Don’t expect them to read your mind.
The other thing is, I think of, as far as meeting people—so many people see somebody they would like to meet, but they don’t ever communicate with them. They expect the other person to read their mind. They hope the other person will come and say “Hello” to them.
If you’re in that situation again, just walk over and say “Hello” to people. Don’t worry, they won’t bite you, they probably won’t kill you. At least take a chance.
Okay, figure out what you want and need, and communicate that.
Shanghai!

Key words

Invisible-adj-can't be seen.


Architecture-n-the type of style used in designing buildings.

Fascinating-adj-very interesting, surprising, exciting.

Read (someone's) mind-v.phrase-to know what another person is thinking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on your point.We all know that communication is important, we don't do it often, though. What we should do is try to express our feelings and thoughts clearly instead of expecting people to guess what we might think, for we could not read any other's mind.
Your articles seem to provide food for thought! I think deeply after reading them.

Teacher Bill said...

Thanks for the comment, anonymous! I'm glad you could see my blog--just trying to get ideas to be considered. Take care!

Bill

LIBRA said...

We often say that you don't understand me. Do you try to speak it out? or Do you expect others to read your mind?

We will feel frustrated if others misunderstand us. We often have high expectation over our family and friends and sometimes have wrong impression. Communication is not easy. It takes time and the result is uncertain. However, we live in the society and can't be islated from group. We should learn to communicate and cooperate with others. It is a process. We can't satisfied with all. But if you are sincere and don't hurt others, different opinions are accetable. Don't run away and be brave to accept different opinions. We are not all right. Just like me, my good friends have different thoughts. Sometime we may argue with each other. We become more closely and understand each other better after the communication. We live in different environment. Even you live together, your thinking are different.

Open your heart. Communicate with others. Your life will be changed. Thank you, Teacher Bill. This article is so good. I like it. It reminder me to open heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi "Invisible Bill",
since we cannot see your face,
i guess maybe next time you would
record the program while enjoying
some chocolate!

Please don't do that~ haha

Teacher Bill said...

Peter,
Maybe I ate to much chocolate!! Mabye that's why I'm invisible! The strange thing is, after I recorded it, I checked it on my camera's monitor, and everything looked fine. One of my co-workers from our TV department told me that when I transfer it to a larger screen, it loses the "resolution"---which means it loses the detail and contrast. I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for the comment!
Bill

Teacher Bill said...

Hi Libra! Great feedback! Communications is an area that we always need to work on. We shouldn't be afraid to try and improve in this area. Everyday I experience a situation that I should improve on, so we must learn from our mistakes. Don't be afraid to communicate, and be accepting of others responses. It's not easy, but it's a lot better than not trying, and making too many assumptions about people.
Take care!
Bill