Thursday, August 16, 2007

Did I Say Yes?

Did you ever say yes to someone, and then later regret it? I do it all the time. Yes, yes, yes, sure I’ll do that—and then ten minutes later I’m wondering to myself “Why did I say yes?”
We’ve all been there, on the receiving end of a request from someone;

“Can you do this work for me?”
“Will you come to the party?”
“I need you to spend three hours doing (something)”
“Would you like to go on a date Friday night?”
“The school project must be done by someone”

Before our brain has a chance to process this information, out from our mouths blurt the words “Okay”, “Yes”, “I’ll do it”. And a short time later you’re wondering “Why am I going out with that guy on Friday?” or “Why did I commit to that party?” or “I have so much work to do, how am I going to do this?”
Unfortunately, how we usually deal with this is to either wait until the last moment and back out of our commitment, or follow through on the commitment with resentment toward the other person or ourselves.
Why do we do this? Two reasons; one, many of us are people-pleasers, and don’t know how to say NO to people. Two, we’re unprepared.
The person who comes to you with a request, has mentally prepared themselves to ask you. This preparation may be a simple mental rehearsal, or an elaborate persuasive argument. As far as being a people-pleaser, this is based in our own insecurity—we fear losing that person as a friend if we say NO and disappoint them. So, we put the burden on ourselves for the sake of being likable.
What to do? Tell the person “Let me get back to you”, or “I need to check my schedule”. This will give you time to process the information and make the best decision possible for both of you.
In some situations we have to say yes immediately, such as at work, when the boss needs you to do something, or at school when the teacher needs our cooperation. But often we have the right to bargain for time to think things through.
Be a good steward of your time—it’s the most valuable resource you have.

Key Words

Regret-v-feeling bad about something we did or said.

Blurt-v-quickly said, a reaction.

Commitment-n-an agreement to do something.

Resentment-n-negative feelings about a person or thing.

People-pleaser-n-someone who does almost anything to make others happy.

Elaborate-adj-complicated, detailed, containing many facets (parts).

Persuasive-adj-convincing, able to get agreement.

Insecurity-n-lack of self-confidence, fear, doubt about oneself.

Burden-n-a heavy load.

Steward-n-a manager of things, a person responsible for taking care of something.

5 comments:

LIBRA said...

Yes, I have ever said yes to someone, and then later regret it. It is hard for me to say "NO". I don't know how to say that and am afraid to lose my friend. I don't have confidence and am afraid to make my friends unhappy.

As I grow up, I find that if I regret my decision later, it may hurt my friends more. I should be brave to say "No" first. It is better than to change our mind later. If he or she is my real friends, everything can be discussed. We should be considerate to each other. I may have difficulties to do that for my friends at that time. That doesn't mean I don't want to do it. On the other side, both of us may have different ways to manage things. We may have different opinions, either. We should learn to respect each other. This can't hurt our friendship. This is what I learn when I grow up.

I like your suggestion. If you can't make your mind right away, tell the person “Let me get back to you”, or “I need to check my schedule”. This will give us more time to process the information and make the best decision possible for both of us. We should not change our decision frequently. Then your friends can't trust you due to you change all the time.

It is a learning process. Once you make your mind, just go ahead. Even though it is wrong, you still can learn something from it. Be brave to face your decision. No matter it is good or not, it is best for you. Be confident. You are the best from God.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Teacher Bill said...

Cynthia,
Saying "No" is difficult for many people, so you are not alone. Even folks with strong personalities say "yes" at times, and then wish they had said "no".
Keep in mind that you don't have to respond immediately to most things. One more helpful tip to remember that you don't always have to explain your decisions, either. Often, when we say "no", or "I can't do that", we feel compelled to explain ourselves. In a way, we end up having to defend our choices--but often, we don't have to defend our decision. It's part of respecting yourself, your choices, and your boundaries. When in doubt, just say "I don't know, let me get back to you"---then you'll have time to think and pray about it, and make the best decision.
Bill

LIBRA said...

Bill,

Thanks for your advise. It is so great. I should respect myself and my choices. It is very helpful to me. Have a good day~

Cynthia

diadem0312 said...

Dear Bill
I have had a difficulty saying NO to my friends.
Sometimes I find it hard to reject others, because they would think of me as not an easygoing person.

I always worry about the consequences or comments from others.

I am an outgoing person, and I don't want to let them down.
Therefore, I pretend to be happy which makes me feel hollow.

I love this article very much!
It gives me a direction toward not being a "lousy good man."

I love your unique laughter on the radio. HAHAHA~~~

Rachel

Teacher Bill said...

Thanks Rachel!!