Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Text for Qatar Wins World Cup feature, April 5th program

Gaston: Ah, my dear friend Axel, did you see that FIFA has awarded the 2022 World Cup to Qatar? Axel: Yes, yes, I read the news this morning on my favorite website, Bundeslige Blog. Gaston: It is quite a surprise, oui, that zee soccer showpiece will be held in the Middle East—it will feel like a sauna, yes? Axel: I believe that football’s governing body wants to test the waters, and see what is possible. Look at some of FIFA’s choices in recent years. Gaston: Ah, you are right, masseur, -- we French hosted zee World Cup in 1998. Axel: Und Deutschland had the most wunderbar World Cup just four years ago. Gaston: That is your perception, Axel—that Germany was the best. We French think that our tournament was magnifique! Axel: Well, notwithstanding your opinion, FIFA has ventured into uncharted territory for very special reasons. Consider that Brazil will host the next World Cup, then Russia . . Gaston: And then Qatar! Plus, South Africa just hosted last year’s event! Aha! FIFA has chosen these locations for a reason, yes? Axel: Ja! The locations have been decided upon irrespective of their football history. FIFA’s goal is to take the game to places it’s never been. Gaston: Zee governing board of FIFA pledged to reach out globally, and expand their market and influence. Axel: Und they have done this. Qatar will be the fourth straight World Cup not staged in Europe. This has never happened before. I am not pleased. Gaston: Ah, Axel, what will we do? Europe is zee center of the universe for soccer. Axel: I think we will be doing much traveling in the next twelve years to see our teams play in the World Cup. Gaston: Merci, my friend; that may be your choice. But I prefer to sit in a café, here in Paris, and watch zee games on television. Viva, la France! Axel: You can stay here and eat your croissant, Gaston. I will be a real man, and support my team wherever they go! Onward, Deutschland!

5 comments:

Kero Huang said...

Excuse me, could you explain the meaning of " wunderbar" from this feature?

TP said...

Kero Huang, the word "wunderbar" originates from the German language and means as much as wonderful,terrific, prodigious, miraculous, lovely, incredible, or delightful.

Yuhan Yeh said...

Thanks alot for posting this!

圣婴 said...

Hey Teacher Bill,

brilliant article (Advanced 9.5.2011)!!
I've been a reader of Studioclassroom for over... okey, I think from 1990s. Studioclassroom is my lifelong friend. Even I am now studying in Hanover, Germany, will have E-Mag each month and hear from you. Many thanks for your great job!!!

Best regards and please also to dear Dr.彭:)
Shengying

Teacher Bill said...

Hi Shengying,

Thanks for your wunderbar comments!!
Always great to hear from our listeners, and long-time students. I envy you being able to live and study in Germany. And so cool that you use our e-mag!!! : )
Take care,

Bill