Friday, December 7, 2007

Shy is a Choice

Okay, we're in Wuzhen, Wuzhen, and, uh, old canal town, so okay we're rolling, and uh, yeah, and uh, it's already going, so, no problem. Ai you!
Pretty neat this bridge back here--well, this is Wuzhen.
Bill Clinton was here before, five years ago--but who cares! Eh, big deal, Bill Quinn is here now, so that's the only thing that really matters.
So, I got a question for you--are you shy? Well, I got news for you--shy is a choice. So don't use "shy" as an excuse. People use "I'm shy" as an excuse, and, uh, it's just--there's no reason for it. Now, people might say "I'm shy because of my family, and my upbringing, but, uh, you don't need to be shy.
People are shy and they use that as an excuse because they're afraid of looking bad, they're afraid of making a mistake, they're afraid of being rejected by people, and, uh, eventually they're afraid of, uh,--they're gonna be not loved by people because they don't do something perfect. So, we hold back, and we don't do what we're supposed to do. Or we don't take chances--and we say that we are shy.
So, keep that in mind. If you think "well, I'm shy, and I can't do it", that's an excuse, and it's a choice.
So, one of our Studio Classroom teachers is outstanding, and she use to be so shy. But she made a choice not to be shy anymore--she decided to take a chance, risk rejection--and now she's very successful.
Okay--from Wuzhen, this is Bill--no more! Bye bye!

Key words


Upbringing-n-your family life, how your were raised as a child, teenager, young adult.

Rejected-v-disapproved of by others, not appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I have this kind of problem. I always care about what other people might think of me, as a result, I did nothing and felt regretful. I am constantly trying to change my shyness, but in vain due to a lack of determination. After reading this article, I was once again thinking about changing my attitude toward my life. I really want to get rid of this problem and be more positive to the things I encountered.
Hopefully I could accomplish this time!!

LIBRA said...

Hi Teacher Bill,

You like travelling a lot. You go to Wuzhen this time. It is very hot there. You wear T-Shirt.

Yes, shy is a choice. I am shy, too. When I was a little girl, I was afraid to lost my friends, to be rejected by people, and to make a mistake. I was influenced by external factors a lot. I tried to make myself to match others. Then I would be accepted by them. I don't have confidence.

As I grow up, I find that every one is different. You are the only one in the earth. No one will be like you. Just like we have five fingers, each finger is different. God loves everyone. We are not short of anything. We should love ourselves. My attitute changes, then the result is different. I will do my best and make the best of it.

Although I may go down sometimes, I will encourage myself and keep going. To have a good habbit is not easy. Make a choice and your life will be different.

Teacher Bill said...

Hi montnoir! Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Everyone is shy at one time or another---there are times when I hesitate to do or say something. I need to remember not to worry about success or failure, just enjoy the moment. Life presents us with many opportunities, so we need to take advantage of them. Take care!

Bill

Teacher Bill said...

Libra, it seems to me that you have conquered shyness! You're certainly not shy now!
The weather in Wuzhen that day was pretty nice, so I felt comfortable just wearing the t-shirt. Plus, it's my hometown (Pittsburgh), so I wanted to show off the shirt! The people around were so funny--they were watching me tape that spot, even taking pictures of me while I was doing it!
Take care!

Bill