Saturday, September 29, 2007

Money Game$

Hey! Seoul, South Korea—I’ve always wanted to come here. I’ve been wanting to come here for years.
Well, right now I’m right in front of the Olympic stadium from 1988, twenty years ago, almost, the Olympic Games, the Summer Olympic Games were here in Seoul. What’s interesting to me about this is this stadium’s twenty years old, and it was very exciting when the Olympics happened here in Seoul. But now, it just kind of sits here. Uh, they do it, they use it a little bit, but it made me think about if Summer Olympic Games, or Winter Olympic Games, if they really are relevant. Um, we kind of lose perspective when things happen, because all this money is spent and this is so exciting, but I’m wondering if it really matters. Because once they go, they’re gone, and nobody remembers them.
Can you remember where the Olympics were held in 1984, or 1992? I can’t. I lived in Atlanta in 1996, but I didn’t go to any of the events for the Summer Olympics in 1996. Why? The tickets were too expensive! I couldn’t afford it! So you can imagine how expensive the tickets are for next year.
Well, I just wanted to at least give you a little bit of an idea on what the future might be like, because this was the future in 1988. But, now you see, it’s just there, and, um, all this money is spent on things, and I just don’t know about it. So, I’m gonna have more for you here a little bit later on here from Seoul. Take care!

KEY WORDS

Relevant-adj-something that matters, important.

Perspective-n-how we view things, how we experience events.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good point. i'm from mainland china, and i sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about the 2008 beijing olympic games.

Teacher Bill said...

Nice to hear from you! I like your comment a lot better than the first person's comment.
I appreciate your feedback. It seems to me that the Olympics has gotten a bit out of hand---this has been happening for the past twenty or more years---not just for next year's event. Countries feel obligated to outdo and outspend the previous host. So much money is spent, and I'm not sure who benefits. It's grown beyond simply being sporting events and competition, and more about spectacle and fabulous facilities. I think the essence of the games has been lost along the way.
Thanks for your comment!

Bill

Anonymous said...

10/4/07Maybe the Olympic games has gotten a bit out of hand, however the good thing is that this reflect people take Olympic game as a very important event and it’s good for the sports. People are willing to spend so much money to see a good game, and that will attract more and more top player to play harder for joining the Olympics.

I found this is a very good blog, for learning English and practice the critical thinking. I hope I could get some improvement from this blog. Thank you, teacher Bill.

Teacher Bill said...

Hi Louise!

Thanks for your comment. You make some good points. The Olympics are a good thing for bringing together people from all different cultures. It shows what folks are capable of. Thanks again, and I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. Keep coming back---I'll try and post a new video about once a week. Take care!

Bill

LIBRA said...

I agree that after money is spend, nobody will remember it in the future unless it has a special meaning. We like to run after fashion and save money to buy it. You may love it for a while. How long will it last? Many people have this kind of experience. Next time, when you try to buy some expensive things, please make a stop and fresh you mind. Then you can make a decision.

Cynthia